The perfect Pink Lady® Apple summertime salad that is layered with fresh farmers market produce. Spicy pepper like baby arugula sprigs with mint basil nutty pesto make this salad unique. Crisp grilled tart sweet apples with bites of toasted rich pine nuts and creamy mozzarella will make this a summertime keeper. Plate this brilliant salad chilled as a side,with grilled chicken as an entree or warmed for upscale meals. Upscale enough for a dinner party or pair with our Pink Lady® Apple & Goat Cheese Pizza for a outdoor pool party.
DESIGNED FOR 4-8 SERVINGS
- 2 medium sized pink lady® apples, sliced into medium to thin slices
- 4 cups fresh organic baby arugula
- 4 large leaves of fresh organic basil
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 log of organic full fat mozzarella, sliced *
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- pesto spoonfuls to plate
- pinch of sea salt & ground pepper
Basil & Mint Pesto:
- 1/2 cup packed organic basil leaves
- 1/2 cup packed organic mint leaves
- 1 organic lemon, juice & zest
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 & 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp sea salt ground pepper to taste
While grill or grill pan is heating, cut up apples in medium to thin slices (about 10 slices per apple). In a glass bowl, toss apples with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Once grill has heated to medium, place sliced apples on grill and cook for 2 minutes each side. Look for light golden grill marks. Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool. Toast pine nuts in a pan on medium to low heat, nuts will be light golden brown and give off fragrance. Place aside in a bowl to cool.
For the pesto: In a food processor or high speed blender, pour in fresh basil, mint, lemon juice and zest. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and garlic. Pulse and add 1/4 cup cooled pine nuts. Pulse and add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil if needed. Pour into a bowl and place inside refrigerator to chill. On a cutting board, stack and roll basil then slice into confetti. Slice up mozzarella. In a large wooden bowl, add baby arugula and basil confetti and toss with olive oil. Add a tiny pinch of sea salt and toss lightly. Add grilled apple slices, pine nuts and mozzarella. Toss lightly. Transfer onto individual plates and add spoonfuls of pesto. Grind fresh pepper to taste.
For variety, serve chilled with added grilled chicken and smoked mozzarella. Or serve as a warm salad with tossed arugula in heated olive oil and balsamic.
*Try Smoked Mozzarella or Burrata Cream Filled Mozzarella.